January 1, 2009

Nutrition for a Healthy Pregnancy: The Complete Guide to Eating Before, During, and After Your Pregnancy

So for my certifcation process I am required to read "a book on prenatal nutrition." You wouldn't think this would be a difficult item to find . . . and it isn't. It's just hard to find one worth reading.

After reviewing the shelves & catalogue at my local library, the midwive's office where I teach my classes, and the local chain bookstore, I settled on Nutrition for a Healthy Pregnancy: The Complete Guide to Eating Before, During, and After Your Pregnancy by Elizabeth Somer, M.A., R.D.

I did very much like the research-based information Ms. Somer included. And the reason I chose this book is that it did present breastfeeding as a positive, normal postpartum baby feeding plan.

I was not, however, greatly impressed by her overall emphasis on low-fat foods, lack of emphasis on the importance of organic foods, or repetativeness. To put it mildly.

Ah, well. I'll keep the book because I really do like the current research based info. But if anyone has a FABULOUS recommendation for a book on prenatal nutrition that was published in the last 5 years or so, let me know!

No comments: