January 28, 2009

Art is a Way of Knowing

Art is a Way of Knowing by Pat B. Allen is a wonderful book. I read it in one sitting, which is saying something considering that reading exacerbates my nausea at the moment :-P

I want to copy some quotes that leapt out at me and which I want to remember for my work:

"Emotion is a physical experience. When we are physically unaware, we have limited access to our emotions. Paying attention to how our body feels and adjusting our movements to create the most enjoyable sensation helps to increase our access. We shut off access to our emotions because of experiences of fear in our lives. By gently listening to our bodily cues and responding to them with small adjustments, we create trust in ourselves." p. 29

"Images that are necessary to us come in all sorts of ways, for the soul never tires of trying to make itself known." p. 33

"Patient waiting is sometimes a big part of image making, just resting in not knowing and trusting that eventually, if I maintain my connection to a piece and don't abandon it, resolution will eventually come." p. 35

"We owe it to the world to be as alive as we can, to give what is unique in us to give. Art is a way of knowing our gift and learning how to give it." p. 50

"They weren't crazy, although Jung especially seemed to realize that there is risk in images. It's not a process of total control. He talked about the need for stable supports in a regular life to anchor himself when he lowered down in the unconscious." p. 66

"This seeing without recoiling is what undoes judgment, I think. If I look long enough, can I get to forgiveness? . . . He is an informed witness who knows something about dark and light and shadow. He knows and I come to know that everything is about dark and light and shadow. There is no use in denying one or the other." p. 108

"Considering pain as an image that comes through the boy allows us to consider different solutions besides simply taking painkilling medicine. Focusing directly on the pain, having the experience rather than running from it, is often a more successful solution to pain relief." p. 125

"Change, like any other dying, is harder than it looks." p. 169

No comments: