February 10, 2009

Blue Truth

Blue Truth: A spiritual guide to life & death and love & sex by David Deida is very interesting. Reading it, I thought that the way I would probably get the most out of it would be as a recorded meditation guide. I could play a chapter a day as a relaxation/meditation focus. It's very stream-of-consciousness-ish, and so it's hard for me to sit and concentrate on more than a chapter at a time . . .

Here is my favorite quote:

"Freedom doesn't mean freedom from. As long as you are alive, you can never be free from pain, from loss, or from death. Things come and go, including your loved ones and your own body and mind. True freedom means freedom as. True freedom is to feel fully and be alive as love, feeling as this entire moment, opening just as this moment is." (p. 17)

There are also various passages which come close to describing something I have often done throughout my life. When I was 15 I was mugged, and lived with a lot of fear for a long time afterwards. Eventually, I learned to . . . take my fear with me. To go ahead, and walk down the street or into a dark room by myself, wearing my fear like a cloak. Yes, I am afraid, but I am going on anyway. I think David Deida is talking about something similar, only with many emotions and situations.

No comments: