January 17, 2009

Birthing From Within

This is the book that shares the roots of what we are doing as Birthing From Within Mentors, Doulas, and parents. Pam England co-wrote it with her husband, Rob Horowitz, and it is a wonderful guide, starting place, and reference for pregnant and new parents and those who work with them.

I taught my first childbirth education series of classes based primarily on what I had gleaned from this book about art and awakening to the possibilities of birth. My awakening was definitely furthered by the Birthing From Within training I took; but everything is there in kernel or root in the book. I have also shared it with friends who found different parts of it very helpful as they prepared for their births.

The warming attitude that comes across to me from this book is expressed in this slogan: "Labor is hard work; it hurts; and you can do it."

Go read it if you haven't!

No comments: